ARTopoly - Because Art Matters!
Explore the art festival with a child’s heart and experience a child’s journey through culture and various art mediums in Artopoly, presented by such community organizations as The Woodlands Children’s Museum, The Woodlands Art League, Pearl Fincher Museum of Fine Arts, Painting with A Twist, Alpha Omega Mounted Patrol, Texas Repertory Theatre Company, Greater Woodlands Public Art Foundation, Lily Pit Bull Ambassador & Therapy Dog, Shekinah Ranch of Texas, Trinity Episcopal Church, Center for Teaching and Learning, North Houston Chinese Association, Because Art Matters, and Houston Museum of Fine Arts at Bayou Bend.
Percussionist Dan Eger Belandria whisks through Artopoly drumming up curiosity with visitors to encourage their own hand at drumming.
Waste boxes provided by one of the festival sponsors, Waste Management, were decorated by students at Camp Pinetree and Girl Scout Troop 11810 of The Woodlands.
The Woodlands Art League
The Friendship Center in The Woodlands will be the recipient of the WWAC 2014-15 Community Art Project! The Woodlands Art League, a part of the local community since 1981 and a longtime supporter and Charity Partner of the Arts Council, has undertaken the design and coordination of mural to create a visual "thank you" to all the dedicated people of this community who volunteer their time to help their neighbors and particularly those folks who help in the Meals on Wheels program for Montgomery County. Once completed, the mural will be installed on the outside of the Friendship Center for all to enjoy.
Demonstrations will be provided by three artists each day in 2 hour shifts with mediums varying from pastels, watercolor, jewelry making, and more. Portrait painting groups are back again this year with live models posing for nearly 20 artists each day.
The Woodlands Children's Museum
Assisting the Woodlands Waterway Arts Festival for its 9th year, the museum provides hands-on, interactive activities that present visitors with an active journey through culture and various mediums. Activities include such as Potato Stamping, Mosaic Tiles, Washi Tape Stick People, Egg Carton Flowers, Masking Tape Bracelets, Vietnamese Dancing Dragons, Jing-Tingler Bracelets, Faux Stained Glass, and WWAF Whimsical Hats. Children can further their imaginary journey while collaboratively painting the provided oversized castles and pirate ships.
Early Inspiration Gallery
The Future of Art Begins Here
This is the second year of Early Inspiration Gallery at The Woodlands Waterway Arts Festival. Our goal is to plant seeds of appreciation in the fertile minds of future art lovers. For $5, children between the ages of 4 and 13 can come into the tent, look at and browse all the artwork and buy a piece that they really like. That first piece may lead to buying another piece of work at the 2014 Festival, thus beginning a lifetime of collecting art. The artwork offered for sale largely consists of donations from high school students and art teachers in the Montgomery County area. Proceeds are used to purchase art supplies for Title 1 schools. Last year EI Gallery raised $1,000--that's a lot of crayons and paints for our elementary students! Bring your young artists over to select a piece of art in the Early Inspiration Gallery tent, located in Town Green Park.
Come and see the Future of Art
Additional ARTopoly activities include:
- Come read a book with Lily and hear Lily’s inspiring story!! - Lily Pit Bull Ambassador & Therapy Dog
- Create your own souvenir wood plaque - Shekinah Ranch of Texas
- Make a beautiful 3-D layered Water Lily inspired by Monet - Pearl Fincher Museum of Fine Art
- Showcasing Sculptures in and Around The Woodlands - Greater Woodlands Public Art Foundation
- Create a Junior Trooper Button with your own picture to take home - The Woodlands Mounted Patrol
- Create your own BALLOON ART masterpiece with hands-on fun and easy instruction - Painting with a Twist
- Show your crazy creativity with Amazing Artfully Colored Hair - Keller Williams Realty
- Make your own Clothes Pin Airplane - Texas Repertory Theatre Company
- Art as a Spiritual Process : Experience the meditative drawing process and make a paper tile - Trinity Episcopal Church
- Create art with Shaving Cream - Center for Teaching and Learning
- View The Woodlands International Youth Art Competition entries - North Houston Chinese Association
- "We Have Bananas" Participate in a unique Collaborative Mural Project., "We Have Bananas" , for the Montgomery County Food Bank - Because Art Matters
- Make your own Decorative Fan and Thaumatrope - Bayou Bend: Houston Museum of Fine Arts