The Woodlands Waterway Arts Council
To contact the Education Outreach Committee please email at BAM-at-woodlandsartsfestival.com
The Education Outreach Committee of The Woodlands Waterway Arts Council focuses on CISD schools with large numbers of economically disadvantaged children. So far this year our programs and activities have impacted over 2,500 students.
Working with principals, art teachers and music teachers at Milam Elementary, Runyan Elementary, Grangerland Intermediate and Hauke Alternative Schools, these are some of our activities:
- Arrange the visit and sponsor buses for children to go to the Pearl Fincher Museum for a TAKS aligned experience.
- Sponsor a percussion artist’s performance, he has a health message as well as geography and cultural lessons
- Bring artists into the schools to demonstrate their art and answer questions from the children
- Arrange with community groups and sponsor the buses for choir students to perform at different events
- Purchased “Learning Through Art” curriculum kits from the Museum of Fine Arts for the art teachers
- Contribute funds to the schools for art supplies
- Present each graduating 4th grader at Milam with an art box containing various paints, pencils and supplies to encourage a continued interest in the arts
- Honor teachers in the fine arts by presenting 2 teacher awards annually, one in the visual and one in the performing arts for outstanding achievement in teaching
These things are done at no cost to the district. Funds come from The Woodlands Waterway Arts Council and other generous donors.
The David Gottlieb Outstanding Teacher Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Arts
One of the reasons for which The Woodlands Waterway Arts Council was formed was to encourage recognition of the importance of the role that the arts play in education. The Woodlands Waterway Arts Council wishes to honor exceptional CISD teachers for outstanding contributions to arts education by making two annual awards. The awards will be given in the fields of the visual and the performing arts.
The honorees shall have demonstrated excellence in their field, exceptional leadership, and a high level of dedication to students by creating an environment that excites and stimulates the students toward self expression and appreciation of the arts. The awards will be given to teachers who:
- Go beyond the ordinary teaching duties by giving of self and time to foster an environment of enrichment through the arts and outstanding student achievement
- Are recognized by peers as being a creative, innovative and outstanding teacher and having a passion for the arts
- Demonstrate dedication to instilling a love of the arts in students by example and by innovative and creative teaching methods
- Contribute to art education by actively seeking opportunities and partnerships in the community for students that enhance and enrich the art experience
- Are endorsed by his/her principal as an asset to the school
For the nomination form and more information please visit The Woodlands Waterway Arts Council web site.